老太太去年12月持 B1/B2 探亲和旅游签证来美国，今年4月25日递交申请延期，到6月17日才批准，期间她的 Legal Status 已于6月11日过期。所幸延期获批，可呆到10月11日。签证延期最重要的文件是申请信，需要让人信服地解释缘由。很多人不知道如何下笔，可参考我写的申请信作为范本。申请延期的流程和攻略参见这里。
To Whom This May Concern,
My name is xxx, aka. Derek Yang. I’m writing on behalf of my mother-in-law, Mrs. xxx, who speaks little English, to apply for an extension of her legal stay in the U.S. Mrs. xxx holds a B1/B2 visa and her legal status will expire on June 11, 2016.
Mrs. xxx arrived in the U.S. on December 11, 2015, together with her husband, Mr. xxx, who is also my father-in-law and holds a B1/B2 visa as well. Mr. xxx will fly back to China in the end of May, as originally planned, while Mrs. xxx would like to extend her stay until October 11, 2016.
I’m a father of two: a soon-to-be-two-year Ethan and a two-month Freddy. I work in D.C. while my wife, xxx, is a full-time mommy. Recently it has become apparent that my wife’s job is more stressful than mine, because Freddy wakes up two to three times at night, resulting in a sleep-deprived mommy while his brother Ethan, one of “the terrible twos,” is very energetic and constantly requires full attention during the daytime.
We have no other relatives living in the states. My mother-in-law, very close to our sons, has generously offered to help us out until Freddy is able to sleep through the night, which typically happens when a baby turns six months. We expect that Freddy will be able to do that in August or September, allowing mommy to sleep well and be able to take good care of the two boys.
If the extension is approved, Mrs. xxx will stay with us in Falls Church, Virginia, 22042. Both my parents-in-law purchased travel insurance in China and we plan to extend Mrs. xxx’s coverage until October.
Following are some basic information of us that I hope can be helpful:
- I, Derek Yang, work for xxx in Washington, DC.
- xxx, my wife, is a full time mommy.
- Mr. xxx, my father-in-law, will fly back to China in the end of May.
- Mrs. xxx, my mother-in-law, is applying for an extension of legal status until October.
- Ethan Yang, my elder son, was born in Virginia, on xxx 2014. He will turn two years old in a few days.
- Freddy Xin, my younger son, was born in Virginia, on xxx 2016. We expect that he’ll be able to sleep through the night before or around September.
My parents-in-law have real estate property and savings accounts in China, the proof of which was presented when they were interviewed in the U.S. Embassy in Beijing.They did not bring any documents into the states because at that time we did not plan to have them stay beyond approved legal status, however my wife and I are happy to prove that we are able to cover Mrs. xxx’s expenses during her extended stay.
Enclosed please find following documents:
- Photo copies of Mrs. xxx’s passport.
- A printed copy of her I-94 record.
- A bank statement of my Citi account, indicating that as of April 14, 2016, I have USD xxxxx in savings, which is more than enough to cover Mrs. xxx’s expenses until October 11, 2016.
My contact info:
- Derek Yang, Title, Company, Office Address, Office number, Cell phone, Email
If you need any other information or document, please contact me at any time. We appreciate your assistance in approving the extension without delay.
April 25, 2016
4 月 25 日寄出申请，4 月 29 日在 USCIS 官网状态变成了 “Case Was Received”，我们也很快收到了正式的回执（Receipt）。有了这个回执，即使之前的 Legal Status 过期，只要 USCIS 还没有批准或拒绝，也可以在美国继续呆下去。
一直到老太太 Legal Status 过期，我们也没有收到回复，心里多少还是有点忐忑：万一拒绝了那还有点麻烦……没事就到 USCIS 官网刷，6 月 17 日状态终于变成了 “Case Was Approved” — 批准了！
下面就是 6 月 23 日收到的申请批准原件，需要妥善保管。